Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Merry Christmas Eve Eve

I have had this for a few years and I love reading it. Thought I'd pass on to you to read tomorrow to your families.

’Twas the Night Before Christmas... Bethlehem Style
Adapted from the C.Clarke Moore story
Written by Erin Hagemeister

’Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the land
all the creatures were stirring for the Glory at hand.
The stars were all hung in the crisp evening sky,
but one shone much brighter and hung twice as high.

The shepherds were watching their flocks o'er the hills,
while Angels appeared to tell them God's will.
And Mary on her donkey and Joseph with his staff,
had just arrived from a far away land.

When a rap on the door, arose such a clatter,
the innkeeper answered to see what was the matter,
“Away to the stable” was all he could say,
for the rooms were all full, there was no place to stay.

The star shining through the rafters with a glow
gave the lustre of riches to objects below,
When, what to my wondering eyes should behold,
but a miniature manger that belonged to a foal.

With a little whimper, and a cry so mild,
I knew in a moment it must be the Christ Child.
More rapid than eagles, His Angels they came,
and sang Glory to God as they called Him by name:

"Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Our Savior and King!
Emmanuel, Eternal Father, new born Prince of Peace!"
"Holy, Holy, Holy" their voices they rang,
more beautiful than harps or bells as they sang.

The hay glowed like Gold as we all stared in awe,
at the sight we beheld that night until dawn
Even the animals, they lay there so still,
With a sense of reverence, to abide in Gods will.

And then, in a twinkling, I saw down the road
three shadows approaching with camels in tow.
As I drew in my head and was turning around,
from the Orient, the East, Three Kings came to town.

They were dressed in fine robes, from their heads to their toes
and had crowns of bright jewels that sparkled and glowed.
And each bearing a gift, of the finest of things,
Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh, the first offering to their King.

His eyes-- how they twinkled! His dimples how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, His nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
and His soft precious skin was as pure as the snow.

The star twinkled above with a wonderful light,
as the glory of God, it pierced through the night.
He had tiny hands and a little round face,
that shone when he smiled, with humility and grace.

He was perfect and precious, possessing Eternal Wealth,
and I bowed when I saw Him, in spite of myself.
The Peace that I felt and the Joy in my heart,
soon gave me a Hope that my new life would start.

I spoke not a word, but went straight to my home,
to tell of His story to all that I'd known.
And the love that surrounded me, I just had to share,
The Prophecy Fulfilled, the Messiah was here!

And as morning gave way and the Angels ascended,
They sang of this Christmas and the Gift that was given.
Then I heard the Lord proclaim throughout the whole Earth
“Eternal Life I give, through my only Sons birth”

No comments: